Tuesday, August 29, 2006

May the hairs on your toes never fall off

Those of you who have read The Hobbit will know that reference. Those of you who haven't read The Hobbit should. Mind you I still haven't reread the dang thing, and I'm in the second week of school.

Life has not been exciting. I do want to know how I spend 12 hours a day at school and still can't get ahead. How????

Last weekend and this weekend I am participating in a workshop "Journey" as they prefer to call it known as Barnabas. The apostle of second chances. Jon-David prefers to call it "the cult." Mainly because participants aren't supposed to discuss it until it's over. Also because I have a very hard time explaining it so far. I went because I yearn for a little zen. (Since it is backed by a church and there is lots of prayer, I haven't used that particular term on them. But that is what I am after.) They tell me that is what I will get, so I am withholding judgment until the end.

We do have to sit in chairs for very long periods of time, uncomfortable to say the least. They (by they I do mean the leaders of this thing) love to tell us "open position" - aka we aren't allowed to cross our legs or fold our arms no matter how cold the room is, and it is cold. "No side talking" I'm going to start using that one on my students.

We are supposed to be totally focused, so all the participants must stay at the hotel. I shared a room with 3 other women. Barbara, my bedmate, is 73 and very cool. Saturday night (in the middle of the night), she said to me, "Elizabeth, what are you doing?" I answered, "Petting my dog" rolled over and went back to sleep. I had been petting her arm. Just a little embarrassing, so I thought I'd share that with the world.

School is very busy. A student just arrived to get help, so I have to go.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes reading this gives me special entertainment because at the end I see the post-time and think "I called about 10 minutes after she was interrupted by the student. She told me she was with a student and she'd call me back, which she did about 10 or 11 hours later. But before she could leave a message, she was interrupted by another student." How's that for validating the veracity of the vivacious vixen....I mean diva.

    I'm glad you gave us an update. I hadn't heard much about the cult. Which would imply compliance with their directive. Except the part about trying to explain it to jd.

    Have you visited the oasis lately? Even on-line? It soothes the soul. I'm going to post a link to a different web-browser on the http://backyardoasis.spaces.live.com/ site.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete