Monday, August 27, 2007

An inauspicious beginning

Sabrina wakes me up at about 3am to go out. For the visual, she wacks me on the head with her paw. It is a fairly surefire way to make sure I get up. Hard to ignore a dog doing that.

Get up, sigh. 6:50 I get a call from the Lifetouch photography guy. (Background, Friday afternoon I call him because everything was supposed to be set up on the yearbook ID computer to make ID's for students that didn't get them made before school started. That was not done. He tells me that he had to leave early, but he would send me the templates, and if I had a problem to call. "Ok" I said in a calm voice, " but please know if it doesn't work Monday morning I will go postal."

My guess is he took me to heart, a good thing, but failed to let me know the change of plans, a bad thing. 6:50 Lifetouch guy. "Are you at school yet?" "nooooooo" "OK, well, I'm here whenever you get here to make sure your computer is up and working properly." Grrrr. So I haul to school. (No breakfast grrr)

I get to school, he does his thing on the computer. While he is doing that, I'm trying to get a video I downloaded off the internet to work. Does great on the computer at my desk, needs to download an update to Quicktime to work on the projection system. Of course. So I have to call the computer tech guys to work on that since I need it first period. Why did I think using technology of the first day of school was a good idea??? What was I thinking??

Long about 7:30 the students start rolling in. Not my students, the students that need their IDs made so that they can get their schedules (that I am also in charge of as it turns out). I have 20-30 kids getting pictures taken etc. In the meantime, my first period English students show up. So, I finally clear out the room (they haven't gotten their IDs I've just written names down and passed out schedules) a little after 8:10 (when first period starts).

Roll through first, a parade of people visit my room. Seriously. During the year, it is as if no one knows where my room is, not today. Lisa comes by (she knows where it is, but she has first period off and she doesn't know what to do with herself). Susan Rhoads, the librarian, comes by, just wants to see how Pam is doing and if she will be subbing this year. Hey Pam, look for a shout out from Susan some time this week. At the rate I'm going, I'll be calling in sick too . . . soon. Mr Cates, the principal, comes by. Total weirds me out. He's awesome and I'm thrilled he came by, but he doesn't usually unless I'm in trouble.

Second period goes fine, third goes fine. I'm off fourth and fifth, but again, parade of people is now mostly students needing IDs, couple of parents about ads, little this, little that. But I'm starting to not feel so hot. I have a headache (take the only migraine pill I have), drink some water . . . Mom, is already shaking her head, she knows what's coming.

I start sixth period vertical, but I start fading fast. I'm talking slowly, get an icepack out of the freezer (yes, I have an icepack ready for just this type of thing.) by the end of the period I'm on the couch. Seventh starts - lights out, don't even try to get up or open eyes. Talk to them for a minute or two, but basicially sixth and seventh my editors run the class, go through stuff that I talked about 2nd and 3rd and cover for me.

Another side note, I started the day with my hair in a cute ponytail, make-up looking fabulous, cute skirt, top, heels. By seventh, shoes are off, hair is down (and not looking great I might add, there was a reason I choose a ponytail for the first day), icepack has messed the make-up up. I am not a pretty sight.

Mr. Williams, asst principal, comes by to check on me. About 5 minutes later, hurling in the trashcan outside of the room. Very professionally.

I call Susan, principal's asst, to radio assts.
"Hi Susan, I've started the year with a bang."
"Great"
"Could you call the janitors to come empty the trashcan outside my room."
"Oh, no you didn't"

(Again, how sad that all I had to say was empty the trash and we've been through this enough she knew what had happened.)

I leave school as soon as the bell rings for 8th. As I'm pulling out of the parking garage telling MB, "wow I still don't feel that great, my stomach is still upset" I have to hang up on her so that I can throw the door open and throw up in front of God and everyone TWO MORE TIMES.

Got home, went to bed. I'm awake now, so I guess there is a pretty good chance I will survive both the headache and the humiliation.

Still haven't finished the syllabus for yearbook. That was to be done this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment