Sunday, August 5, 2007

The beginning of the End

Please allow me to describe the scene. David, Monica’s husband, isn’t talkative to begin with but our crowd generally causes him to stop talking completely. He’s a man who likes his world ordered and a particular way (Did I had he is an only child, of an only child, with only one child). Dad has just been home 3 days before catching a plane to Atlanta. Please keep in mind Dad is a homebody and he’d already been traveling for 2 weeks with Mom in Alaska. As far as I’m concerned, we’re operating on borrowed time. I, of course, enter the scene like a beaten dog, every once in a while I’m foolish enough to stick my head up and speak, but I’m usually beaten into submission fairly quickly.)

There are only 8 of us here at this point, but we went through a loaf of bread before Monica, David and Nicole got back from church. So, when they got back there wasn’t enough bread for 3 sandwiches. Uh oh.

While they had gone to church, Mom, Dad, Cassie, Travis and I went on an expedition tour. We drove and drove and the road got narrower and narrower. We stopped when we reached a tree across the road that was too heavy to move. We saw a man walking down the road from the other direction. Turns out it was his driveway. Oops. There was absolutely no indication that the road was private at that point, actually the tree fell right before his driveway. He said that most of the land belonged to the forest service. Only about 45 acres was private and that was land that had been owned for a very long time So, we turned around and went back. It’s almost noon at this point and Dad declares himself hungry. You know what that means. It was time to eat and eat immediately. We didn’t know how long Monica et al would be at church 1-2 hours depending. (Hey, it’s the country, there is no telling how long the service might last.) So, we got back and immediately ate. Then we started another grocery list of what we needed to get.

Monica called on their way back from church much put out. She said we were supposed to have chicken for lunch not sandwiches. When I mentioned the lack of bread and cheese, I think she was still thinking about the meal mix-up. So, when they got home and she saw there wasn’t enough bread for three sandwiches, things went from bad to worse.

The air was tense after their return, so you’ve never seen 5 people move so fast to go to the grocery store. We got a ton of stuff at the grocery store. By the end of our little trip, Dad started getting cranky. I mean craaannnnkkkyyy. We returned to . . . the silent treatment. Monica looks innocent and says she is not giving us the silent treatment, but I’m telling you I know the silent treatment when I’m getting it.

So, M, D, Cassie, Travis and I took the little path down to the lake. Please translate this as very narrow, very, very steep path to the rocky steep shoal by the water. Mom, Dad and I were panting and took a little while to catch our breath while Cassie and Travis were skipping rocks. They are quite proficient at it too. On the plus side, the water looks like it is great swimming water. (I couldn’t find any of my swimming suits, so if I can find a Target or something I’ll try to go buy one.)

Now, we sit. Monica, Travis and Nicole are playing cards, David is watching a baseball game, M and D are reading the newspaper, and I’m typing madly. I hate the thought that by the time I get internet I might forget some of the precious moments that will need to my complete alcoholic haze. So, I’m going to keep track until I can finally upload.

I have my certains about being able to find any internet. The closest starbucks is 50 miles away.


Cassy and I went in search of a swimming suit since I couldn't find any of mine. We started out going to Knoxville, but then I decide that was too freaking far away. So GPS said Pidgeon Forge was closer, but we totally were backtracking. Then we saw a sign that said Cherekee. It spoke to us, and there we were. Now have a swimsuit, it ain't pretty but it covers the naughty bits. Sadly, the fat still pokes through. Then we walked down the street a wee bit. Then we headed home with the laptop in Cassy's lap. Lo and behold, the Teddy Bear Motel has unprotected internet. They probably have a lot of unprotected something else too, but I'm trying not to think about it. Hooray! I found internet. Let's hope I can find this place again!!

Ta ta for now

No comments:

Post a Comment