Friday, January 19, 2007

Oh, the weather outside is frightful . . .

Wednesday morning we were supposed to go to St John's school in Houston (where the conference was held) and watch classes in action using the Promethean board. However, school was cancelled so they decided to divide the participants into small groups for discussion. They divided by grade level/then for secondary by subject. There was only 1 other English teacher and 1 other social studies teacher, so I went back up to my room with a couple of the other girls from HP. We had our own small group of sorts.

I did get to finish downloading more video of Sabrina giving Charlie hell. I took it when I dropped her off at Diane and Kendall's.

So, back to Houston. We left for the airport about 2 hours before our flight. I called Mike, Ann's husband who I think works in operations of Southwest and I'm pretty sure has something to do with moving the planes around. He said to stick with the afternoon flight (they had been canceling morning flights and things were a mess in Dallas.) Robert and I get to the airport and we see a bunch of the people that were supposed to have already departed . . .uh oh. We are there for maybe 5 minutes when the ticket counter dude says that Love Field is still shut down and they will let us know when flights start resuming.

I call Mike . . .
"What's up are you kidding me? Love Field is closed?"
"No, Love Field is not closed."
"That's what the ticket counter guy at gate 22 is saying."
"Give me a minute, we'll take care of that."

Within another five minutes the ticket counter guy is announcing two flights that passengers need to board because they are taking off for Dallas.

Wow. That's fun. He also very sweetly said he would watch my flight and see what was happening. They were trying to get everything on track but it was such a mess . . .

Luckily we got on a 4:30 flight that left on time. When we changed flights we were still in group A which is really weird, but then the plane was full, so maybe they announced at the gate that all the 3:30 people needed to get over there for the 4:30.

Got to Dallas at about 5:30. The captain was funny. He said,"We've performed another Southwest miracle, left late and arrived early, but someone is still sleeping in our bed, so we'll have to wait for them to leave our gate."

When straight over to pick up Sabrina. They had done a marvelous job of taking care of her . . . But she GREW while I was gone. It is amazing. I know one of the pictures isn't in focus. I don't know what happened, but the point is that she is sleeping on one of her toys. awwwwww.

I didn't get Eva until yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately I didn't leave for Plano until 4:30 so it took about an hour to get there. I'll admit I was a little disappointed in the lack of enthusiasm for their new grand dog. So, Eva, Sabrina and I hit the road to head home. It took TWO hours to get home. There were wrecks every where. Central was a nightmare. Then I got off at Forest. Horrible. Another wreck on Forest. Finally got home. I basically took a bath and went to bed! There wasn't even ice yesterday. Today is going to be a total disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment