Thursday, March 8, 2007

Haven't blogged in a while

Sorry, been a little busy. Overwhelmed, stressed out. the usual.

Sabrina went to the vet about a week ago. She is healthy, happy and 27 lbs at 15 weeks. The doctor thinks she'll be about 60lbs. Totally adorable, but a hellion.

Went to book club. We had read The Tender Bar. It was ok, but not my favorite. It was at a parent's house that was built about 1920, prairie style (just 3 times bigger than mine). The best part was that I loved the paint colors. So, I'm getting more ideas for colors. I've been looking at sedate colors, I may be brightening things up a bit!

Last Wednesday, things started getting really busy because I had to get Eva and all of her stuff together, so that she could visit her grandparents. Mom and Dad are much more willing (OK, Mom, Dad still cracks inappropriate jokes about letting her out the gate) to watch Eva now that she is the slowest moving dog in Dallas.

Mom and I met at NorthPark where we had mother/daughter eye brow waxing appts. Sweet, I know, but our eyes did look lovely when we left.

I dropped the hellion off at HighStone Pet Lodge. I chose that place because they had the doggie cam ( 8-4 you could watch the dogs play on the Internet). Of course, it didn't work at all while the hellion was there.

I drove down to a Leadership Conference in Austin. A van went down, but there wouldn't have been enough room for Lisa (the other English teacher I work with that was going), so I drove. We ended up going to her house to drop her car off, then to pick up her daughter to drop her off in Belton on the way to spend the weekend with her grandmother. Lots of surprises.

The conference was good. A little stressful at times, some people were a little annoying and none of it was helped by the onset of PMS. We got back on Sunday, and I immediately started working on laundry.

Sabrina was very excited to see me, although I'm not sure they fed her enough. I don't think they realized just how much she eats.

I went to dinner with a friend and that was a disaster. Should have just kept my dumb cranky butt home. Oh well, live and learn.

Monday morning began the insanity of yearbook drama.

Second period a girl submitted her "withdrawal of application" for next year. Very surprising, but ok. Then sixth period, her little friend submitted the same thing. Couldn't get anything out of either one. Just that they were "past yearbook". One said that she is a perfectionist and just "didn't want to be a part of something that was going to have so many mistakes" The other said that "she didn't want to get a top position and then have to work with someone she didn't think was as good as she is". OK, they need to be doing other things.

Tuesday, neither one was in class. I thought they just were embarrassed and skipping for a day. One of the kids looked up their schedules and discovered neither is even in yearbook any more. WHAT???

So, I go down to the counseling office and find the first counselor and asking her what is going on. Fairly politely I thought. Certainly my distress was evident, but I didn't call her the incompetent twit that I wanted to. I didn't ask her if she was so stupid she really thought it was ok to drop a kid from the middle of the 5th six weeks without talking to the teacher. I was . . . abrupt perhaps.

At any rate, two different counselors moved two different girls out of a production class in the middle of the semester WITHOUT the permission of the Asst principal, just cause. Seriously, what were they thinking?????

Towards the end of 6th period, I grabbed the two girls out of the classes they were in, took them to an office, (wisely, got an assistant to sit in on the convo) and told them how shocked and disappointed I was that they did that.

Tuesday night I get a call from one of my sweet editor-in-chiefs warning me that one of the girls appears to be calling around trying to find out if I've said mean stuff about her etc.

Wednesday morning, I drop Sabrina off at my friend Diane's. She foolishly agreed to watch the hellion. At least it's less embarrassing when I call her four times a day to check on the dog. The lodge place sounded like they were getting tired of talking to me.

Once at school, I find the principal and tell him, although the good news is that I haven't done anything wrong, the bad news is that I was going out of town in less than 8 hours and it looked like the dirty poopy might be hitting the fanny wanny. He was really upset that they were allowed to drop, and he said that they would be returning to class.

Sure enough, girls mother starts calling the principal, me, etc etc saying that she doesn't want things to get out of hand, but sending emails to other teachers "vilifying me" according to one of the teachers. Hmmm

Once again, if I didn't have a really strong reputation of telling the truth, this woman would be doing a pretty good job of tarnishing my character.

The asst principal spoke with me right before 8th and said that we would probably have a meeting with the girls, their parents, the principal and her and me when we get back. Sounds like fun. Can't wait.

Right after 8th, I was gathering up my things to head to the airport with the video tech group for their convention at the DisneyLand Hotel.

Oh, did I mention in the meantime that there were 8 million pages to proof before I left, I was trying to get stuff done on the book, and as always I had stuff to grade. Did not have time for all of this stupid drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment