Friday, February 1, 2013

So, what do you do?

My job is weird. Yes, I'm a teacher, but I teach yearbook classes. So it's not your average class. Mostly it is 25 people a class period doing 25 different things. Every day. I get to spend a lot of time answering 4, 365 questions a period. You doubt me? You shouldn't.

The yearbook is a student run publication which means I work really hard to let the editor-in-chief of each class period run the class. Be in charge. Tell em what to do.

There are a lot of questions that come with that. Also, I have students in charge of every part of the business. So, I also spend a lot of time explaining how to do things to teenagers. Who don't listen. And have the attention spans of gnats. So, I also get to be frustrated. A lot.

Also, I spend an incredible amount of time writing reminders to myself to check on things. That they have been done. That people have responded to emails, requests, etc. Teenagers and adults. Actually, it is impressive how often I am checking up on adults.

Recently one of them let me know people might not appreciate that. I get that. And maybe I wouldn't feel the need to do that if experience hadn't taught me that most people? Well, they aren't making lists and checking them off. They are not taking care of all of their shit. And I'm not saying I don't let stuff fall through the cracks, it does. But not all that often. And truly, it's usually not that important.

But I am talking about sending emails to the principal about things happening in a couple of days or weeks...and not getting responses. Sending emails confirming things, that receive no response. Not even a yes or a no. Makes me want to grind my teeth.

There are moments when I really love my job and seeing the kids do their jobs and feel good about themselves. And then there are moments when I think a well trained monkey could do my job.

Then I talk to my sister running a business down in Austin with almost the exact same stories...only ALL of her employees are grown ups. And well paid grown ups at that. At least most of mine are free labor teenagers and/or poorly paid adults. I don't know why that makes me feel better, but it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment