Thursday, December 4, 2014

The unbearable sadness of being

My dear friend's mother died Sunday morning. She was in hospice, she was old, she had been going downhill for a while. Not unexpected. He was able to be there and hold her at the end. It hurts my heart. I know he is very sad. We all know it is the circle of life.

Monday afternoon one of the school counselors came to tell me the mother of one of our students and a good friend of mine was in the hospital dying. She had cancer. She told almost no one. She thought she won. Two weeks ago she went back into the hospital. She died yesterday.

She is my age. She is funny and smart and kind and a great mom and in love with her husband and I am filled with soul crushing sadness. Her eldest is a freshman in college. Her younger son is a sophomore in high school.

My emotions are all over the place. I miss her already while I feel horrible for being a terrible friend and not knowing.

Life and death. Makes me think of the Princess Bride. "Life is painy, your highness. Anyone who tells you differently is selling something."

No comments:

Post a Comment